Business Occupancy Permit

In order to open a new business in the City of El Monte, the Planning Division must ensure that the type of business is consistent with zoning standards. The City has several zones that only allow certain types of uses. Check the zoning map or call 626-258-8626 or email to ensure your business is in the correct zone. Once a planner has given zoning confirmation, please make an appointment.

Required Items:

  1. Business Occupancy Permit (BOP) Application  (Available at the Planning Division Counter) - See BOP sample 
  2. Site and Floor Plans -  8.5" x 11" or 11" x 17" in size 
  3. Letter of Intent (Description of business operations)
  4. Maintenance Agreement required, if an industrial use in Manufacturing zones. Refer to fee schedule for additional fee
  5. Fee - refer to Fee Schedule

Additional information will be required - See steps and checklist